Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A quick hello.

The fall weather is beautiful here... and hopefully this weekend will still be beach weather! I cannot believe my parents board the plane in a WEEK to come see me. I also cannot believe that I (along with my twin sister) will be turning 25 so soon. Unfortunately, Laura cannot make the trip down here, nor I up there, to celebrate our quarter of a century mark together, but I get the parents! My friends here said I have to throw a party, but they also told me no one is here during Holy Week, so I have to choose another date for the party. So, I will be celebrating my birthday for a while... starting with yesterday when I received a birthday card from Sarah, a volunteer in Mexico! Not only did she remember my birthday, but she got it out with the slow mail system in mind! THANKS, Sarah!

In the church, a student housing facility has started up. There are now seven students living here, and I feel much more comfortable with the growing activity throughout the evening in the large church building. A few times we have cooked together or just hung out.

I feel like this week, I haven't had any free time, but I dont think that will change until I get home.

What has been tough is missing out on babies being born and weddings happening while I have been here. It never gets easier thinking about the things that I am missing out on while I am here. I love sharing in moments like those with my friends and family. I know I have missed 8 months full of activities that I regret not being able to be a part of. However, I have had and continue to have an experience that is shaping me in ways that I could never have imagined.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary - please give your parents a big hug from me (as well as the rest of the gang here in Pkb)!

As far as your thoughts about missing out, I know it's not easy to think about, but please remember these few tips:
(1) God has you right where he wants you,
(2) You are being given gifts of knowledge and memories every single day, which you could not possibly get any other way,
(3) You are giving back so much more than you are receiving (and that's what it's all about),
(4) You can only be at one place at a time, so technically you are always missing out on something somewhere else (from an engineer's perspectve! :), and
(5) There will always be time to catch up on what you missed when you return and visit your friends (and think of all the pictures you'll get to see).

Have a wonderfully happy birthday, Mary!!

Doug & Penny

Jacinda said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! We love you!