Monday, April 13, 2009

Parents' Visit and Uruguay

Holy Communion on Palm Sunday (above)
Dad presenting Wilma with a shawl that the congregation in South Carolina (Lutheran Church by the Lake) prayed over the Sunday before. (Every stitch is a prayer, every hole is a hug.)

----------------------------------------------------------
My parents came and went in what seemed like no time at all. The visit was great, but it went by just way too fast with too much to do. My Dad talked a lot about their visit in the post below.

One of the best moments for me was the worship service that my dad did with Pastor Wilma. It was so moving to see the two pastors who did not speak the other's language serving Holy Communion to each other. At the Lord's Table, language and cultural barriers are broken and we commune as one Body.

I continue to be amazed at the kindness shown by everyone in Uruguay. I am constantly asking myself what God wants me to be learning from this experience and how I will take this experience and use it in my return to the United States. It sometimes gets frustrating that I do not have a clear answer, but I cannot think of an aspect of my life that this experience will not change.

I have noticed a growth in my patience in communication. I spent the first few months asking people to repeat or slow down or just flat out saying I do not understand something. The patience people had with me and the language barrier was just another way that I could see God at work in my temporary home.

One thing that I never get tired of is the way people greet each other here. I personally think we could learn some lessons from this. When someone walks into a room, they normally give a kiss on the cheek to everyone in the room and introduce themselves if they don't know each other. I love how it acknowledges everyone's presence and existence. Every time I do this, I think of the many times I have felt invisible in a room because my presence was not acknowledged. Walking into la Obra never will get old, and I cannot help but smile when the kids get on their tip toes to give me a kiss and a hug. I sure will miss that when I go home.

I have been blessed with some wonderful families in Uruguay that treat me like a member of their family without hesitations. Wilma's family and Milton's family have welcomed me from the beginning, and I can honestly say they made the transition to Uruguay very easy for me. With both of them having similar experiences, they know what to expect and can relate first-hand to what I was going through at the beginning. I have also been welcomed into the family of my friend, Analia. I have met her aunts, uncles, cousins and grandmother and they all treated me like one of their own. It makes me miss my own family, but knowing that I have my family in the United States to rely on for whatever I need or want is the best gift I have ever been given. Seeing my parents' faces in the airport when they arrived was something I will never forget. Eight months without a hug from my mom or dad was a long time to wait, but well worth it. It will make the last two months seem like a blink.

I hope everyone had a fabulous Easter Sunday and could spend it with the people they love celebrating the Resurrection and the Promise of the forgiveness of our sins and eternal life. Blessings to all.


Dad, Mom and me in the Plaza de la Armada in Montevideo

1 comment:

The Doug said...

I'm so glad you got to enjoy some quality time with Mom and Dad, and got to show them around! Hope you weren't PUN-ished too badly.