Thursday, May 14, 2009

WHoA!

Where has the time gone? I am in my last weeks in Uruguay and feel like I just got here. It has been a struggle for me to put into words what I have learned here about myself, about the church and about the World. I have not had an easy time and worried a lot about not being able to relate my experiences to my friends and family in the church congregations back home. I have come to accept this and pray that instead of explaining in words what I have learned, I can live it out in my actions.

The congregation Nuestro Salvador has sent five representatives to Minnesota and they are there right now with their sister congregation Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd. I lead a Bible Study this week and prepared the sermon for Sunday with another member of the congregation. I have never prepared a sermon, much less in Spanish. It was an interesting experience. Unfortunately, I will be out of town and will not be able to give the sermon. I am not going to lie, I still feel shy about getting in front of a group of people in a formal setting and speaking in Spanish.

Last night I made a cheesecake for some friends in the student housing part of the church. I am really enjoying being able to spend time with young adults and fellowship with them. And my cheesecake was delicious! The Italian volunteer, Cecile, made crepes. The young adult group that I am a part of knows how to eat!

I am now trying to figure out what I want to do when I get home. I applied to graduate school at University of Georgia, but have not yet made a concrete decision. I ask for prayers that God guides me where I need to be.

Thank you all for your support!

2 comments:

Dad said...

It sounds like God has you in a good place. I pray you will be open and receptive to the leading of the Lord.

The Doug said...

Hi Mary.
As you prepare to start another chapter in your life, just remember all the great memories you are leaving behind in the minds of all the wonderful people you have crossed paths with during your stay there. I'm sure you have touched the hearts of many!

Be sure to let us know when you'll be back in the Pkb area!